First a definition, a hyperlocavore tries to eat as much food as
close to home as possible, in order to reduce the food miles that
his food travels. It is an extension of the term locavore. A
locavore typically tries to eat seasonally within 100 miles of her
home, to reduce food miles and to develop their local economic
base. A hyperlocavore therefore wants to bring food even closer.
And what's closer than your neighborhood? We have a time crunch, we
have land and property that is loosing value fast, we have kids who
don't know where their food comes from, and we have a climate
Yardsharing and group growing is new. It's different from a
community garden - but the site can be used to create and manage
one. A yardshare might be an arrangement between an elderly couple
and a young one to grow more food cheaply for both. Or friends who
live in an apartment and a friend in the burbs to save money and
food miles. Hyperlocavore.com is here to help facilitate
This is a list of the reasons I think group gardens and yardsharing
is an idea whose time has come. The links hide some people,
websites and imagery that have inspired me to build hyperlocavore.com
. Have fun
exploring. Every reason is not meant to appeal to everyone. See if
just one make sense to you! Then join us
and explore the
possibilities. The site is free, and you do not need to commit to
anything to participate. It's new to most of us. It's up to you
what makes sense for you and yours. We just hope to inspire and
facilitate. If you agree with more than two of these, you just may
be a hyperlocavore
(A note: I'm a North American, citizen of the U.S., so this
certainly reflects some of my perspectives and biases. Please
contact me if I've got something really wrong, I'm happy to discuss
Join us at
- You want to taste those real
tomatoes you've heard so much about.
- You want to decrease your
reliance on fossil fuels.
- You want to teach your kids where food comes
- You want the smell of soil in your nose.
- You want to pick your salad from your porch.
- You want your neighborhood to
have positive street life.
- You want to
be less isolated.
- You want to build food security into your life.
- You want to get more sun!
- You want to develop some upper arm
- You want a hotter bootie!
- You want to help that nice old man down the block. He
works too hard!
- You want your neighborhoods to
have cheap access to healing herbs!
- You want to be a farmer but you have no
- You want your high cholesterol to go
- You miss the family farm.
- You especially miss the rooster on the family
- You want to lead and not to follow!
- You want to be more independent.
- You want to show em how it's done!
- You want to walk out the door and eat
- You want your children to be
- You want your children to
eat their veggies.
- You want to involve your family in a group activity.
- You can't live without fresh organic
veg, and it seems to be getting too expensive!
- You want to do something with
your friends besides drink beer.
- You've never been able to find
that Hatch chili from where you grew up.
- You want to shorten the distance from farm to plate.
- You have a brown thumb and want to know what that's
- You have a yard that is
full of weeds.
- You want to reduce the chemical load on your body.
- You think the lawn
is a sign of all that is wrong with America.
- You hate mowing.
- You know that cute chic down
the block is a big freakin' hippy but you wanna get to know her betta
- You know that dude down the block is a big
freakin' hippy but you wanna get to know him betta
- You took Obama's call to service to heart.
- No one sees your gardening triumphs.
- You want to lessen your
- You look around and you see your neighborhood dying,
and you want to do something.
- You have been blessed and you want to express
- You remember what the neighborhood was like when
- You need to pay it forward.
- You need something to do besides what you been
- You want your food to taste as
good as Gordon Ramsey's.
- You don't have a farmers' market near
- You can't get into the local CSA - It filled up fast!
- You work too many hours and need some
help in your garden.
- You have physical limitations, and a garden
and could use some help.
- You are a former hedge fund manager with a lot of time on your hands
- Your kids need to get
- You really need a new set of friends.
- You know it's the end of the world as we know it, and you want to feel
- You want to quit talking the
talk and start walking the walk.
- You want to simplify your life.
- You find no joy in fragging any
- You are an
exceedingly cheap bastard, and want to save even more cash.
- You are sick of living on
- Yes we can!
- Chop wood, carry water.
- You've been saving
seeds, but have no place to plant them.
- You want to surprise your hard working single mom with
regular homegrown fruit and vegetables.
- You are unutterably bored, filled with
ennui, and about to jump.
- Om, nom, nom, nom.
- You want to live more like the
rest of the world.
- You want the suburban wasteland to become juicier.
- You can't afford the gas to get to the
market, and your veggie ride isn't road ready yet.
- The bodega in your neighborhood doesn't
carry anything but candy, cigarettes, and booze.
- Guerilla gardening just isn't
giving you the thrill it used to...sigh.
- It's about damn
- You are actually serious about
this "reliance on foreign oil" thing you keep going on
- Better jam.
- Better pie.
- Better chutney.
- Fresh eggs! Like still chicken
butt warm fresh.
- You really need to step away from the
- You actually do
have a vitamin D deficiency from lack of
- You're afraid of the veg your
roommate brings home.
- You've never actually tasted a fresh vegetable, ditto
- You decided you didn't like vegetables when you were 6, you
stuck to your guns but you're a big girl/boy now.
- You are down with the peak oil hypothesis, and want to stop freaking the
- You want to find like minded people and
- You've got a hankerin' fer
- Your grandmother, who has been
dead for 8 years keeps coming back to you in dreams - She reminds
you there is an elephant in the root cellar. You want to sleep more
- You really, really like potlucks.
- You want to grow enough extra
to donate to the homeless shelter.
- You take the very
- Your houseplants are telling you to get out and make new
- You'll be damned if your gonna
spend five dollars for a sack of potatoes
- You think that you are surrounded by
ugliness, and you're right.
- You will simply die if you
don't have a St. Germaine cocktail and the godforsaken town you
live in has no reputable supplier of elderflower liqueur. You are
therefore, desperate enough to make your own.
- You walk softly but carry a giant gourd.
- You have a lot of stuff, but
you feel empty.
- Your country has been embargoed by the rest of the world and you
- You want to live the good life, not that one! This one!
- You want to make it easier to cook at home.
- You really want to slow down but don't know
- You want to see this, not
when you go outside.
- The spirit of true community has filled your
heart and you want to fill your days differently.
- One word - zucchini.
and find or start a yardsharing group in your
neighborhood. You don't have to have a yard to share or a green
thumb - This is a learning community.
* OK I admit there are a few ideas repeated in different form.
Use the comments to add your own!