To start a group for my geographic
- first use the Search feature on the PODS/GROUPS page.(Look
for the little magnifying glass icon) to see a list of groups in
your area. You can search by city, state or zip.
- if there is no group in your area then select Add a
group link at the top right of the PODS/GROUP page.
- set the title of the group for example: Seeking Yard share
-San Mateo, CA.
- set image for new group and make it interesting so we can
feature your group!
- set location (Town or City and State or Province, Country for
new group. If its a large area use your neighborhood too...
- save group (scroll to bottom of the screen if you cannot see
the SAVE button)
Note - please do not
make large area groups private.
If you would like a private group create a "pod." Private groups
are reserved for established yardsharing groups.
To create a private yard sharing
- click on the pods/groups tab
- on the next screen select Add a
- set title for new group. Please put "pod" in the title. For
example: East Palo Alto - Main Street Pod, Yellow Submarine Pod...
(You can name it anything you want so long as you keep it clean and
put pod in the title.)
- set image for new pod/group - again make it interesting!
- set location for new pod/group
- save group (at bottom of the screen)
Yard sharing is a really new idea and we really need help getting
the idea out into the world. Once you've done these things consider
a few ways you can let your community know that you are here
looking to start a yard share group:
- Post to craigslist community in your area with a link to your
area page or your pod page.
- Flier in your neighborhood with a link to your area page
- Use the INVITE
FRIENDS feature to let your friends, family and neighbors know
even if they are not in the same town - other hyperlocavores might
live near them.
- Give a talk in your faith community and let them know about
hyperlocavore.com and link to your area page
- Blog about yard sharing and link to your area page
- Flier your college campus with a link to your area page
- If it is appropriate send an email at work with yard sharing
information and a link to your area page
- tweet about yard sharing and hyperlocavore.com on twitter!
The more peas we have signed up, the sooner we can find you a yard
share, or some happy to help gardeners!
are a few questions to get your pod started talking about your own
Here are some fliers to help you get going:
You will need to write in your own contact information, meeting
times etc. with a black sharpie.
Be sure to print clearly!
Neighborhood General Flier
Tabling Sign Up Sheet "Learn More About Yard Sharing"
Little Card With Web Address
That last flier needs to be cut up, and you need to add any
information that would be helpful such as your group name or your
phone number. These are for people who might be tabling at an event
and need something to write on. Let me know if you need other forms
or fliers. I am happy to create anything which you think will help
you get going. Just mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You also
may want to use a "url shortener" to make the web address a little
easier to convey in the small space of a flier. There are many
tools out there that can help.
Here is some more information on url shortening tools.